I have some understanding of Cryptography and I would like to know if there is a tool or website to help me choose an algorithm based on my own needs (I'm being vague in purpose).
I'm looking for a website or tool that shows properties of algorithms like:
- What is it best for
- What is it not very good for
- How can it be used poorly
- What kind of algorithm is it? (hash, encryption, etc)
- Is it reversible?
- Is it symmetric or asymmetric?
- Does it have known vulnerabilities?
- How strong is it against brute force?
- How proven is it in the industry?
- When was it invented?
- Is it fast to run? To decrypt (as appropriate)?
- How common are implementations of it in various languages?
- What programming languages have implementations currently?
I specifically want information to help me choose the appropriate algorithm based on my needs, not just encyclopedic information about algorithms. And for vulnerabilities, a resource that is maintained and updated would also be invaluable.
Perhaps all this information does not reside in one place, but I'm not really sure where to even start (other than just googling 'how to choose an encryption algorithm' and etc) to research this information.
Edit: Adding some links to articles