Cryptography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for software developers, mathematicians and others interested in cryptography. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When having a company computer that is full disk encrypted, it is common that the boss have a master password / backdoor, so the data always can be decrypted.

I have heard some call this for "scrow" or something similar.

Does anyone know the correct name?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think the thing you are looking for is "escrow" as in Be aware though that the security of your system is reduced to the hardness for an attacker to find the master password which might be much easier than breaking the disk encryption scheme

share|improve this answer

A good solution would be to hold the master password encrypted by a N+P sharing scheme, where a certain amount of perhaps board members, or third parties, would need to come together to be able to reconstruct the master password. c++ cryptopp does secret sharing ( through

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.