Let's say we have a point $nP = (x,y)$ on a curve $E$ over a prime $p$. The corresponding Edwards curve coordinates are $(u,v)$. I want to construct the point corresponding to $(u,-v)$ on the Edwards curve.

I can construct $(-u,-v)$ easily, that just amounts to $-nP$, flipping the $y$ coordinate. But I don't know about $(u,-v)$.

Is anything known about this construction?

See also, my related question here:


I think this amounts to a similar thing.

  • $\begingroup$ The question is not clear. Why do you start with a generic point (x,y) but then you move to Edwards. Can't we just start with an Edwards curve. It's not clear whether you want to find a scalar that you get you to (u,-v) or you want something else. Also, -nP should get you to (-u,v) not (-u,-v) $\endgroup$
    – Ruggero
    Commented Sep 6, 2023 at 10:10
  • $\begingroup$ Yes, I want the scalar that gets me to $(u,-v)$ on the Edwards. See also this: mathoverflow.net/questions/454076/… I believe these are all equivalent problems. $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 6, 2023 at 10:13

1 Answer 1


If $P=(u,v)$ then $-P=(-u,v)$

Now it follows from addition law here that if we denote $Q=(0,-1)$(Q is some point of order $2$) then

$P+Q=(-u,-v)$. It follows that $-(P+Q)=-P+Q=(u,-v).$

Is this what are you looking for?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.