Let's suppose and scenario like a secret voting scheme, at the ID verification step.
- There is a public list of identities of people who are able to vote (ex, people who live in a certain town).
- The identity confirmation process is entrusted to a central server (Bob).
- Users send requests remotely and decentralized (ex, with their respective devices).
- The idea is that the ID is never sent via the communication channel.
- The is no specific ID method, could be anything that does the task, digital signature, etc...
Conditions to be met
- The Alice (the voter) must prove to Bob that she is on that list without revealing her identity.
- The Bob (the server) has to ensure that no one who is not on the list can access to the voting.
How this problem is called and what is a practical example of the solution?
PD: The voting execution process is not important in this problem, it only deals with identity verification.